As my Indian wife always says, “There’s no other dish that’s more comforting than a plate of dahl and rice!” Lentils and rice are a staple in any Indian household Lentils are super healthy and it can be made a vegan dish by using olive oil instead of ghee. They are also cheap and easy to store so you always have a pack in reserve.
The recipe below is one that my wife’s aunt, Marina, showed me how to make a few months ago when she visited us from the UK..
250 g Red lentils
1 Red onion (finely chopped)
25 g Fresh grated ginger
16 g Garlic (finely minced)
2 Tomatoes (finely chopped)
1 tsp Jeera (whole) (Cumin seeds)
1 tsp Black mustard seeds
2 tsp Turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tbsp Ghee
2 tbsp Fresh coriander leaves
1-2 Green chillies
3.5 dl Water
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Soak the red lentils in cold for min. 30-45 minutes
2. Drain the water.
3. In a pan, add the water, lentils, onion, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, green chillies, salt, pepper and turmeric powder. Cook for 20 minutes on a medium to low heat. If needed, add some water for a more soup like consistency.
4. In a skillet, warm up the ghee, add the mustard seeds, cloves and the cumin seeds.
5. When the mustard seeds begin to splutter, transfer the mixture into the dahl and stir well.
6. Add the finely chopped coriander leaves just before serving.